Japan - Peru: FMT Summer School and Data Analysis Workshop
20 -- 31 Jul. 2011
20 -- 27 Jul. : at Hida Observatory
28 -- 31 Jul. : at NAOJ, Mitaka, Tokyo
8 people from Peru
20 Japanese researchers
1 British researcher
1 Egyptian researcher
1 person from Brazil through the internet
Another Homepage of this WS on CAWSES-II/TG3 website:
Another Homepage of this WS on NAOJ website:
News Letter on the Homepage of Kyoto University (only Japanese):
News Letter on the Homepage of Graduate School of Science, Kyoto Univ. (only Japanese):
CHAIN-project (Continuous H Alpha Imaging Network), that is
led by Kyoto University under CAWSES-II and ISWI, has successfully
moved the FMT (Flare Monitoring Telescope) to Ica University of Peru
from Hida Observatory of Japan in the last March.
The FMT started to observe the Sun in the last year in H alpha
(center plus blue and red wing (+-0.8A)) to detect flares,
associated filament eruption and Moreton waves (shock waves emitted
from flares) which can be basis of space weather prediction.
On the other hand, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ)
has also supported development of the Coelostat spectroscope for
solar observations at UNICA.
In the last November, we had the FMT data analysis workshop
at Ica University of Peru to educate young students and
researchers how to analyze solar data taken with FMT and
how to use spectroscope for solar observations.
The workshop was partly supported by CAWSES-II, and was very successful.
(Please look at the web site: http://esi.igp.gob.pe/FMTworkshop/ )
This summer school/workshop in Japan is a continuation of the previous
FMT workshop held in Ica University of Peru in the last November.
The purpose of the summer school/workshop is to teach how to
analyze the solar data more deeply and to teach how to write
scientific paper using solar data.
- Report of progress of data-analysis during this one year
- Lectures of solar physics and solar active phenomena in more detail.
- Introduction of recent studies by using the data obtained with
CHAIN-network, by Japanese researchers
- How to analyze solar observational data taken with FMT and space
mission such as Hinode
- How to write scientific paper on solar physics research
- Basics of solar observations on ground
Chair: Kazunari Shibata (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Kiyoshi Ichimoto (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Reizaburo Kitai (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Takashi Sakurai (NAOJ)
- Yoichiro Hanaoka (NAOJ)
- Yoshinori Suematsu (NAOJ)
- Mutsumi Ishitsuka (IGP)
- Jose K. Ishitsuka I. (IGP)
Chair: Satoru UeNo (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Shin'ichi Nagata (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Hiroaki Isobe (USSS, Kyoto Univ.)
- Ayumi Asai (USSS, Kyoto Univ.)
- Takako T. Ishii (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Satoshi Morita (Kwasan and Hida Obs.)
- Noriyuki Narukage (JAXA)
- Ken'ichi Otsuji (NAOJ)
- Kwasan and Hida Observatories, Kyoto University
- National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ)
- Solar-Terrestrial Environment Laboratory, Nagoya University
- National University "San Luis Gonzaga" of Ica (UNICA)
- Geophysical Institute of Peru (IGP)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)/
Climate And Weather of the Sun-Earth System (CAWSES-II)
Satoru UeNo (Kwasan and Hida Observatories)
20 Jul. (Wed): am K.Shibata General introduction (review of FMT-book)
K.Otsuji Filament Eruption (Morimoto papers: Cloud model)
D.Cabezas, R.Terrazas, L.Martinez, M.Gutierrez, Y.Buleje
Selfintroduction and previous works using FMT data
pm J.Ishitsuka Radio Astronomy in Peru
D.Cabezas Overview of the flares observed by Peru-FMT
A.Asai Scientific themes of the workshop: Introduce the target events
night session A.Hillier
21 Jul. (Thu) am T.Ishii Introduction of SMART-data and data-archives
N.Narukage Moreton Wave (Eto, Narukage papers)
Everyone Discussion about analysis themes.
S.Morita Introduction of Data Analysis Software I.
K.Otsuji Introduction of Data Analysis Software II.
pm Everyone Data analysis
night session Y.Yoshinaga
22 Jul. (Fri) am K.Ichimoto Hinode and Solar Magnetic Fields
S.Nagata How to access and get Hinode Data
A.Asai Nobeyama Radio Heliogram
pm Everyone Data analysis
night session N.Nakamura
23 Jul. (Sat) am & pm Data analysis
night session S.Takasao
24 Jul. (Sun) am & pm Data analysis
25 Jul. (Mon) am & pm Data analysis
night session T.Anan
26 Jul. (Tue) am & pm Data analysis
night session A.Shaltout
27 Jul. (Wed) am & pm Reports of the results from each team
evening Move to Mitaka from Hida
28 Jul. (Thu) Summer school on basics of solar observations on ground
am Tour of the Campus of NAOJ
pm Intruduction to the Ica Solar Station
Practice of the observation with a coelostat I.
Practice of the analysis of spectroheliogram data I.
29 Jul. (Fri) am Practice of the observation with a coelostat II.
Practice of the analysis of spectroheliogram data II.
pm Introduction to the sunspot observation in NAOJ
Attendance to SSP Seminar
30 Jul. (Sat) am & pm Discussion
31 Jul. (Sun) am & pm Discussion
[Scientific Themes with the FMT Data]
(1) 2011-Feb-16 M1.6 Flare
- Detection of Moreton wave or winking filament.
- Measurement of the propagation-velocity of EUV-waves.
- Characteristics of 3D velocity field of filament-eruption.
- Investigation of multi-thermal structure of erupting phenoemena
(2) 2011-Mar-08 M4.4 Flare
- Characteristics of filament-eruption and jets
- Mechanism of two step flare
- Evolution from filament-eruption to coronal-loop expansion, EUV-wave and CME.
- Relation with evolution of another EFR.
(3) Statistical analysis of Moreton waves:
- Relation between Moreton wave and filament eruption, flare duration, flare intensity
| || |
| Group photo in front of the SMART tower at Hida Obs. || Talk by Prof.K.Shibata at Hida Obs.
| || |
| Talk by Mr.D.Cabezas at Hida Obs.|| Talk by Dr.N.Narukage at Hida Obs.|
| || |
| Practical observation with the Coelostat in NAOJ|| Practice of spectral data analysis at NAOJ|
| || |
| Group photo in front of the Flare Telescope in NAOJ|| |